- Drugs in science fiction? This article discusses the history of getting the buzz on, in futuristic tales like 1984 and Dune. Apparently, the federal government was getting wary of science fiction’s growing acceptance of mind-altering substances, enough so to publish a report on the subject.
- No, this is not hallucinogens at work. This picture of a Cheshire cat in space is real, courtesy of the gravitational lensing effect.
- From large cats to bears, oh my! DNA studies of the water bear show a remarkably mixed heritage. This might explain why this microscopic animal is the only one known to survive in space.
- While artificial intelligence may still struggle to decipher images (see Google Dreams), this new AI software can create pictures from samples of text – some quite odd and surreal.
- Shooting star, satellite, or space junk? This website, utilized by NASA, shows the heavenly objects whizzing through our night sky. Just pick your city to customize the view.
- Randall Munroe explains the Mars Rover (i.e. the Red Car)
Posts Tagged ‘X-Files’
- Happy fall everyone! Dune and pumpkin spice is in the air. Like the image above? Here’s more, and more. To round out this upcoming holiday season, please enjoy this BB-8 pumpkin, and a special Star Wars themed dessert menu.
- Next time, maybe MIT’s artificial intelligence can go trick or treating with you.
- I have a feeling older amputees would also enjoy these bionic hands.
- Scott Kelly plays with liquid bubbles in space! (4K video from the ISS).
- Speaking of space, who (or what) is out there? X-Files releases new animated promo trailer.
- New book out this week features never-seen-before Star Trek costumes and concept images.
- Can it be true? Firefly cast says they’re game for a second season at New York Comic-Con.
- Till then, SyFy is amping up its marketing for its new space series, Expanse, premiering this December. The network recently released a new app that let’s you view the spaceships in 3D.
- Did physicists get an atom to travel back in time?
Heading out to San Diego’s Comic-Con this week. Hope to see you all there! Some things that I will be doing at #SDCC2015:
- Staying hydrated and applying lots of sunscreen, as I figure out where to line up for all the amazing panels. Seriously, there must be hundreds of panels each day.
- Checking out the Art of Comic-Con at the San Diego Central Library. While I’m there, perhaps I’ll get a seat at the Nobility or Space Command Friday panels – featuring notable Star Trek, B5, and Stargate alums.
- Hunting down the X’s in the X-Files scavenger hunt – clues available on the X-Files twitter!
- Keeping an eye out on the news feed for any big Star Wars surprises.
- Walking through Artist’s Alley in the Exhibit Hall (and potentially binge-buying the merch).
- Got no badge? No worries – don that costume and check out all the cool happenings outside the Convention Center.
See you guys back here again on Sunday!by
If your childhood was filled with fond memories of gold coin chases, turtle rides, and psychedelic mushroom eating trips, then you’ll probably like the creative works of the folks below.
First up, we have “Mario Kart: Fury Road”, an awesome mashup of the Mad Max: Fury Road theatrical trailer and Mario Kart effects by Kris Sundberg. Considering the premise of Mad Max – an endless car chase filled with violence, acrobatic hijinx, and explosions – its integration with Mario Kart is pretty seamless. My favorite scene in both the original trailer and the mashup is the opening: a gorgeous desert road that disappears into the distance, awaiting your next move…by