Scott Kelly is halfway through his #YearinSpace. This great infographic from NASA shows the effects of a year in space. Fun fact – his space poop burns through the atmosphere like shooting stars! Image Source: NASA.
- In other space news, Russian cosmonaut Gennady Padalka returns from his record-breaking stint on the International Space Station.
- Things from far away: Colliding black holes may cause space-time distortions 100,000 years from now. Magellanic Clouds captured by the Planck satellite in beautiful sunrise hues (wow pic).
- A little closer to home: Awe-inspiring Pluto images just released (wow pics). NASA confirms global ocean on Saturn’s icy moon of Enceladus. The spice must flow: Mars Rover captures petrified sand dunes on Mars. SpaceX releases images of how its Dragon spaceship will land on Mars.
- To get perspective: Building the first to-scale model of the solar system, complete with planetary orbits – in a Nevada lakebed (inspiring video).
- There and back again: A team builds a space balloon and sends it off, only to find the footage two years later (wow video).
- The Rockwell Integrated Space Plan – a chart of humanity’s space exploration for the next 100 years – gets a contemporary makeover (cool infographic).
- After a long hiatus, SyFy is finally venturing into space, with successful Killjoys and Dark Matter episodes this past summer, and The Expanse to arrive on December 14!
- Other fall science fiction series include the reboot/sequel of Spielberg’s Minority Report, to premiere next Monday on Fox, and one I am very interested in following – an adaptation of a Philip K. Dick novel by the same name – The Man in the High Castle. Watch out for this eerie, Nazi alternative-history thriller on November 20.
- I approve of this bookshelf. And this playlist.
- An X-Files plot in real life? Giant virus found in 3000 year old permafrost.
- Margaret Atwood on storytelling (video).
- An interesting book concept. Science fiction’s fascination with suicide is therapy “in times of traumatic upheaval.”
- A Star Trek/ Planet of the Apes crossover comic book! In related(?) news, check out this new limited series Chewbacca comic book…