- In other mashup news, Universal Studios debuts a Jaws 19 trailer (video), based on Marty McFly’s Back to the Future. Also – have you seen this hoverboard commercial?
- General Electric is banking on a new science fiction podcast “The Message” to boost brand awareness. It’s throwback time to Ronald Reagan’s General Electric Theater (video).
- “One More Mission” – A Saturday Night Live skit by Phil Hartman (video).
- Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion’s tongue-in-cheek webseries about the fanimals in all of us – “Con Man” – is now available on Vimeo.
- New science fiction anthology released: Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015.
- Following the successful launch of The Heart Goes Last, Margaret Atwood talks about how her dystopian futures are inspired by the real world.
- Trash collectors: Robots will collect your rubbish bins, while mealworms eat your styrofoam.
- It’s better to Reduce, Reuse, and then Recycle. This cute edible plastic water bottle called Ooho! fits the bill.
- Top three designs announced in NASA’s 3D printing challenge. One of them is an igloo on Mars.
- On the heels of The Martian is JPL’s Open House this weekend. Brace for the crowds.
- Planet’s moon Charon snaps into focus.
- NASA releases thousands of high-quality images from the Apollo missions (wow pics).
- Facebook to beam internet to sub-Saharan Africa — from space!
Posts Tagged ‘JPL’
The DARPA Robotics Challenge Finals, held this past Friday and Saturday at the Fairplex in Pomona, California, tested 24 world-class robot teams. These humanoid bots had to traverse a multi-tiered course designed to mimic emergency conditions, replete with rubble, communication problems, broken-down valves and wires. But enough from me – let’s see what the robots had to say about the course…
(All the images below are screenshots from DARPA’s live feed of the event. To go to the DARPA main page, click here.)by