Sol Draconi Septem is the ice planet of Dan Simmon’s Endymion. It was once a warm, terraformed world on the path of the River Tethys. Following the destruction of the farcasters at the end of Fall of Hyperion, however, Sol Draconi Septem was plunged into isolation, causing it to revert back to its pre-terraformed state. The atmosphere froze into a glacier, joining the sky and earth below into one endless icy landscape. (more…)by
August 2015 archive
- A neural network tries to interpret Star Trek: TNG‘s intro. See the clip that started it all (video).
- Create your own Google Dreams! Check out this AI acid trip of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas for inspiration (video).
- Behind-the-scenes photo gallery of the upcoming Star Trek Beyond.
- The Prime Directive: Ethical or Not?
- ISS astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti joins crowdfunded Star Trek: Axanar film.
- Just finished watching the worst episode of X-Files on my catch-up tour to the new series.
- Science Fiction’s hallways – an art compilation by Serafín Álvarez (wow pics).
- More cool science fiction art: Ray Bradbury’s Illustrated Man. This sketch, and this sketch, based on Ray Bradbury’s “The Sound of a Thunder”. The mechanical hound, from Fahrenheit 451. And just to mix it up – Stargates!
- A Star Wars celebration in Hong Kong.
- Not saturated with Star Wars yet? Japanese Star Wars planes!
- Magnetic wormhole created for the first time.
- Science fiction meets science fact: The NASA technologies featured in the upcoming Matt Damon movie, The Martian.
- Some other fictional astronauts: One Direction’s “Drag Me Down” (music video).
- A real astronaut – Scott Kelly – discusses his life on the International Space Station (video).
- Cassini takes some gorgeous shots of Saturn’s moon Dione.
- ESA’s Rosetta hears Comet 67P purr, and scientists think they know why.
- Waiting for the next breathtaking space images? Check out this infographic of humanity’s 29 active space missions.
S1E9 Enemy Khlyen || S1E10 Escape Velocity || Season 2 (??)
Each episode of Killjoys builds upon the past, layering and layering themes repeated throughout the season. The finale of Killjoys was no different. “Escape Velocity” finally answered some of our lingering questions about Khlyen and Red 17, in ways foreshadowed by previous episodes. Yet, we are still left wanting. We need more episodes to learn about the Killjoys universe – not just to uncover one more mystery about Dutch’s past – but also because we care about what is going to happen to all of the characters. Killjoys has done a fantastic job of fleshing out the characters’ relationships with one another, and revealing the motivations behind their actions. So this post will focus on the growth of our characters, the ABC building blocks of the entire Killjoys series. (Caution – Spoilers Ahead!) (more…)by
- When will the Star Wars merchandise end? From makeup to an entire Star Wars-themed land at Disney, it looks like the hype around the Force will continue to snowball until Christmas.
- Of course, even the Star Wars name couldn’t save this line of cancelled toys. Really, Chewie has a wife?
- Now onto the other big scifi name: Star Trek. William Shatner to host the first ever Star Trek cruise. My bet is that weddings based on this one between Troi and Riker will become popular on board.
- Nichelle Nicols (Lt Uhuru’s) workout while on the set of the original Enterprise. Stretch! (cool pics).
- Sir Patrick Stewart dishes on burgers, and arriving in Los Angeles.
- All 78 Star Trek episodes, in colorful minimalist posters (wow art).
- For the very first time, astronauts eat food grown in space (and it’s captured in ultra-high definition 4K video).
- Couldn’t get enough of NASA’s flyby of Pluto? Now someone has stringed together all the NASA Pluto flyby images into one awesome long shot (wow video).
- NASA’s Cassini will pass by Saturn’s moon Dione.
- A gecko-inspired space robot.
- A little closer to home, a new patent envisions an inflatable space elevator that can lift people up to 12 miles up in the air. Perhaps it will allow even closer shots of amazing northern lights footage (wow pic).
- The other pretty lights. Connecticut scientists solve the mystery of the firefly’s flicker.
- Tired of your ordinary thumb drive? You’re DNA can be the next big thing in data storage.
As soon as I found out the title for this episode, Enemy Khlyen, I was excited. What revelations would we have about Dutch’s former mentor, captor, and father-figure? Though not all was revealed, Enemy Khlyen gave us further clues to Khlyen and Dutch’s past. Now, we have enough information to at least fuel some speculation about the origins of the Level 6 RAC, Red 17, and the imminent Quad class war. (Caution – Spoilers Ahead!) (more…)by
Compared to the dramatic revelations of the last episode, Killjoys “Come the Rain” takes a slower approach, as the characters come to terms with their changing relationships to one another. Dutch and D’Avin go through Jenga-inspired trust exercises, while Johnny and Pawter Simms conduct trust exercises of their own – all while a deadly poisonous storm brews across Westerley. (Caution – Spoilers Ahead!) (more…)by
1 2 Next